What is FreeDB?
The original CDDB is a database to look up CD information using the
Internet. This is done by a client which calulates a (nearly)
unique disc ID and then queries the database. As a result, the
client displays the artist, CD-title, tracklist and some additional
You have to connect to the Internet for proper work of this
1. FreeDB uses a CD's original song order and track time as two
parameters (among others) to retrieve song information.
MP3TagEditor attempts to emulate these parameters to get the song
information from the FreeDB server.
2. Keep in mind that using FreeDB you will only retrieve the album
title, artist name, year and song titles.
3. Before receiving the audio files information from the Database,
order each songs (files) in Track List as they follow on the audio
1. How can I access FreeDB?
You should use a FreeDB-aware program. (MP3TagEditor is one of
them. Use Main Menu: Action > Get CD Info from
2. Can I download MP3s or other music files from
FreeDB is not a file sharing service, they do not offer any MP3s or
other music-files for download!
3. How often is the database updated?
The master server is updated as well as the mirrors with new
submissions several times a day. The web-based search is updated
once a day.
4. Is there a possibility to search in the online FreeDB
You can use the web-based search. There is currently no possibility
to search via the server software.